OT - Pursue your dreams
2020-09-25 01:21:29 UTC
Okay, this is sort of on topic and sort of not. Whatever.

Barry has often said something to the effect of... go pursue your dreams... you're the one who's going to be disappointed if you don't. This past summer, I finally started doing just that with one I've been TALKING about for years but never actually doing.

Most of you are aware that I've had mobility issues for several years now, so I thought this one would never happen. But I freakin' DID IT and maybe it will get someone else on here to try doing something they don't think they can do. Not trying to be preachy, so sorry if it comes out sounding that way.

Back in 1992, I got certified as an open water scuba diver. After getting certified, I either had the time or the money to go... but never both at the same time. So I never got to go diving. But this summer, I met a new buddy who's VERY into diving. Somehow I ended up sitting in a deep soaker bathtub with my head barely underwater, breathing through a scuba regulator... and it triggered something. So I started doing a little investigating. Turns out there's a dive shop close to me that's affiliated with a group called Patriots for Disabled Divers. They concentrate more on military people (which I'm not) but have no problem dealing with my issues.

After doing my online reviews, Sunday was my first pool session. I arrived with all my inner demons screaming at me... mostly "what do you think you're DOING???!!!" For the first time almost 30 years, I had the full set of gear... mask, fins, tank on my back, all of it... just sitting on the bottom of the pool, re-learning to trust scuba gear (yes you CAN still breathe; breathing is good) and starting to remember how much FUN I had way back when. Okay... I didn't get as far in my skills review as I thought I would. I didn't even get into the deep end of the pool. But I was able to do one of the skills... taking the regulator out then replacing it and clearing it. I don't think the instructor thought I was going to get that far, even. He says I did a lot more... and stayed more "with it" (as in, not freaking out) than he was expecting, considering how long it's been.

So I'm still working with them and both the instructor and I are looking forward to round two. Pool access is still limited given the world situation right now but I'm ready whenever they tell me they've got access again.

So... hey. If there's something you've always wanted to do... and your inner demons are telling you no... go try it anyway. Ya never know.
Scooter
2020-09-25 12:42:25 UTC
D <***@comcast.net> wrote in

[snip of dream come true]
Post by D
So... hey. If there's something you've always wanted to
do... and your inner demons are telling you no... go try it
anyway. Ya never know.
Fabulous, Dave! Congratulations on a great accomplishment!

That's something I simply could never do. I'm too
claustrophobic to do the scuba thing. Can't even snorkle.

:-)

Scooter
dcsharon
2020-09-25 14:41:13 UTC
Congrats! It's nice to step outside your comfort zone now and again!

(DC) Sharon
a***@gmail.com
2020-09-28 17:08:13 UTC
Post by D
[...]
Hi D,

During the past year I have imagined you at the bottom of a pool many times although never wearing Scuba equipment. That said, congrats for leaving your comfort zone and best wishes for continued success as you progress.

I began skydiving lessons on my 40th birthday, so I know what it's like to conquer your fears and I admire you for doing the same.

Advice in the age of Covid: please make sure your equipment is absolutely clean at all times and don't share equipment. Which I'm sure you already know, but RN Annie has to say it.

Best wishes in continued limit-testing,

Annie
2020-09-29 04:22:29 UTC
During the past year I have imagined you at the bottom of a pool many times although never wearing Scuba equipment. That said, congrats for leaving your comfort zone and best wishes for continued success as you progress.
I began skydiving lessons on my 40th birthday, so I know what it's like to conquer your fears and I admire you for doing the same.
Advice in the age of Covid: please make sure your equipment is absolutely clean at all times and don't share equipment. Which I'm sure you already know, but RN Annie has to say it.
Best wishes in continued limit-testing,
Annie
Hi Annie

I've probably imagined holding you down there with me a few times, too. Or tied to a cinder block. So we're even. :-)
Skydiving? Yikes. That's one I could never do... jumping out of a perfectly good airplane and all. BUT I can appreciate that it's another sport that requires getting over your inner voices so good for you (and anyone else who's managed to do that.)

The shop cleans and sanitizes like crazy, and the pool, while open, is still under "partially open" rules so there are things like... the locker rooms are off-limits, masks on unless you're actually IN the pool (when I swap my covid mask for a scuba mask), etc. We go in and out through a side door which allows a shorter distance from the outside to the pool. Heck, I was at the dive shop on Saturday and tried on a dive boot... which promptly went into a bin for cleaning before it went back on display. Same goes for all other gear.

Pool session #2 scheduled for October 11... maybe they'll let me go in the deep end of the pool this time. (I say "they" but it's 1-on-1, me and the instructor.) I'm NOT looking forward to the mask clearing exercise but it's one of the basic skills I have to demonstrate.