Barry Manilow on 'The Simpsons'
a***@gmail.com
2019-10-30 01:52:48 UTC
There was an oblique reference to Barry Manilow by way of 'Copacabana' on a Simpsons episode. I don't have a lot of details about the episode because I had my small tv on in the kitchen while preparing dinner and I wasn't paying close attention.

The episode had something to do with a reenactment of Homer's Odyssey and there was a song about an island, to the tune of Copa. Completely different lyrics, to fit the episode, but definitely Copa.

I can't say if the song was repeated because we had friends over so I caught only a few minutes. It was the Copa tune that caught my attention.

Anyway, has anybody else seen this episode? I don't know the year, or the title of the episode, or any details really. But probably someone here has seen it.

This is the second time the Simpsons has referenced a Manilow song - there was an episode in which Homer sang a version of Mandy, and which was pretty hilarious IMO:
…."Oh Margie/you came and you brought me a turkey/on my vacation from workie..."

Silly stuff.

Mr M pops up in the strangest places

Best,
Annie
2019-10-30 03:34:46 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
[...]
Hmm. Tried digging a bit but I'm not finding an exact match.

They did an episode called "Homer's Odyssey" in season 1, (January 21, 1990) but Copa isn't in it.
Then there's an episode in season 6 called "And Maggie Makes Three," (January 22, 1995) which specifically says that Marge & Homer have night of dinner & dancing to the 1993 remix of Copa.
a***@gmail.com
2019-11-03 01:15:11 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
[...]

So I found this on on YouTube:

http://youtu.be/Bhw5LCCJZiE

this is what I heard the other night.

Definitely the Copacabana tune with different lyrics.

Annie
2019-11-04 01:45:37 UTC
Hmm. Tried http://youtu.be/Bhw5LCCJZiE
digging a bit but I'm not finding an exact match.
They did an episode called "Homer's Odyssey" in season 1, (January 21, 1990) but Copa isn't in it.
Then there's an episode in season 6 called "And Maggie Makes Three," (January 22, 1995) which specifically says that Marge & Homer have night of dinner & dancing to the 1993 remix of Copa.
http://youtu.be/Bhw5LCCJZiE
this is what I heard the other night.
Definitely the Copacabana tune with different lyrics.
Annie
Ah. That video says it was from season 13. Once I found references in seasons 1 and 6, I didn't go any further.