Night Songs II
dcsharon
2019-12-09 22:47:01 UTC
From Barry's facebook page --

Hi Everyone,

I was honored when NIGHT SONGS was nominated for a Grammy award. Making NIGHT SONGS II has been another rewarding experience for me.

Like NIGHT SONGS, this album is filled with great, great songwriting by some of the most talented songwriters ever to put pen to paper.

As the art of writing melodies and emotional lyrics begins to disappear, songs like these mean more to me than they ever have.

Once again, the album is very intimate. Just me singing and playing piano as if I was in your living room.

I hope you enjoy NIGHT SONGS II and as I said before, I hope it introduces you to some songs you’ve never heard and that, like me, you fall in love with them.

Love,
Barry

NIGHT SONGS II will be released February 14th and is exclusively available for pre-order now via www.shopmanilow.com.

BTW - here's an interesting article about Celine Dion's album crashing after being #1 a couple weeks ago. I guess bundling with concert ticket sales helped her get to #1.

https://www.showbiz411.com/2019/12/02/celine-dion-courage-album-plunges-95-in-second-week-falls-off-chart-after-number-1-debut

(DC) Sharon
dcsharon
2019-12-09 22:50:56 UTC
Part II

There's a contest with this as well -

NIGHT SONGS II will ship for arrival on February 14th and is exclusively available for pre-order via ShopManilow.com

• Pre-order now and you will immediately receive a download of track six, Meditation.

• Subsequent tracks will be announced in the coming weeks.

• As an added bonus, one in every ten copies will be autographed by Barry!

• Each pre-order enters you in a contest to celebrate the release of NIGHT SONGS II on Valentine’s Day with Barry via a pair of Platinum Experience packages which include 2 front row tickets to MANILOW: Las Vegas as well as two pre-show meet and greets. Rules & regulations can be found here.

Secure your copy now to make this upcoming Valentine's Day one to remember.

A $14.99 investment isn't bad to win a platinum, but hopefully they will draw while you can still get decent airfare. Airfare to Vegas over Valentine's Day is always expensive.

(DC) Sharon
a***@gmail.com
2019-12-09 23:08:33 UTC
Post by dcsharon
From Barry's facebook page --
[...]
This news is just what I needed today! After working for days and days without a break, I finally got a day off and I'm in bed with a horrible cold! And! I'm on the schedule for another shift tomorrow!

I know, not your problem guys, but I post just to say that a new album to look forward to is giving me back the will to live LOLOL! Well, that and Nyquil which BTW is highly underrated as far as fighting a bad cold is concerned.

Anywaaaay…..

Night Songs II Get excited, peeps!

Best,
Annie
w***@gmail.com
2019-12-09 23:20:46 UTC
I wonder if Barry will appear on QVC to promote the album. If I recall, when the first Night Songs was released, he didn't. Come to think of it, I'm not sure Night Songs got any promotion, at all.
2019-12-10 04:20:33 UTC
Post by w***@gmail.com
I wonder if Barry will appear on QVC to promote the album. If I recall, when the first Night Songs was released, he didn't. Come to think of it, I'm not sure Night Songs got any promotion, at all.
IIRC...
I think if you pre-ordered Night Songs, you got a promo CD for one of the tracks. Might have been for the vinyl edition only.

It's nice that Barry's releasing a new album. Of course I'll end up buying it... the Barry collector in me demands no less... but I won't be pre-ordering. The first Night Songs only got a 37.5% "like" rate when I listened to it, and I couldn't tell you when I last pulled it out of the "Box o' Barry."

Oh well. At least it's not Nightmare Sing-alongs II. :-)

Dave
w***@gmail.com
2019-12-10 04:35:31 UTC
I hate to admit this, but I have found most of Barry’s post-Mayflower albums mediocre. Scores was a lackluster follow-up to Mayflower. Then we had the Clive Davis “Greatest Songs” tour. 15 Minutes was good. But everything went downhill from there. And it doesn’t help that Barry’s voice has aged so much in the near 20 years since Mayflower.
Brenda M
2019-12-23 04:29:38 UTC
I think Barry’s likely lost much of his creativity.

But given his age, it’s probably to be expected. Everything slows down eventually.

Old Creaky Brenda

P.S. i’m just happy we got to have Mayflower and 15 Minutes. Either one of them would have been a more compelling musical concept than Harmony if Barry hadn’t been so close-minded about it.
q***@gmail.com
2019-12-23 07:30:02 UTC
Before long our Barry will be 80.

What a career!
a***@gmail.com
2019-12-23 14:38:21 UTC
Post by q***@gmail.com
Before long our Barry will be 80.
What a career!
I'm excited to see the "reveal" of songs on the new album.

Annie
Brenda M
2020-01-03 07:47:55 UTC
You’re right about that. He was amazing! And he has much to look back on with pride.

He may never be a Broadway legend, but he made a lot of people happy just by being a pop entertainer and musician.

Everyone isn’t meant to be a Mozart.
Some folks are meant to be Salieris (ph.?). (Sorry, I’m too lazy to check my spelling).

Brenda
marvin
2019-12-24 05:40:12 UTC
I think Barry’s likely lost much of his creativity.

But given his age, it’s probably to be expected. Everything slows down eventually.

Old Creaky Brenda
Brenda, your observation is relevant, but I do not entirely agree that even, at age 76, Barry has lost his creativity. Barry is still a workaholic, still performing in Las Vegas and elsewhere, and also did much research and hard work in compiling his latest cycle of They Write The Songs radio series for BBC Radio.
I am convinced that Barry is still creative, intelligent and fully aware of his skills in music, but also knows, as he has often said, that the current music scene does not reward songwriters like Barry who love the art of lyric writing set to interesting melodies in favor of music that is only rhythm based. I do not think Barry is confident that his style of music would work well in today's marketplace, so maybe he just does not want to bother to take the long time to work with his longtime lyrical collaborators on an ambitous musical CD that would take months if not years to make only to have it not do well in the selling of a new record. I think Barry feels more confident that a CD like Night Songs 2 which would have him singing alone on the piano would be a more efficent way for him to create a new CD that would be sold mainly to Barry Manilow fans. Thanks and Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah to Brenda and all of us. Regards, Marvin
m***@gmail.com
2019-12-26 16:47:05 UTC
I agree. I also feel that his label and management may dictate what they want him to release. I'm curious what he has stored in the hard drives of his computer and stored away that may never be released.

-kristen
a***@gmail.com
2019-12-27 19:54:05 UTC
Post by dcsharon
From Barry's facebook page --
[...]
So the second track of the new album has been revealed, and it's "I'm Old Fashioned"

I cannot wait to hear our Mr M's interpretation of this most romantic of songs. Fred Astaire does it wonderfully, but I'm betting Mr M will break our hearts with this one.

We are fortunate AF that our guy continues to produce work for our enjoyment. This album's going to be great.

Best,
Annie
j***@gmail.com
2019-12-28 10:08:45 UTC
Barry we need to talk, you give so so much back to your fans and the ones ypu truely love, I'd like yo be one of those you fall in love with, hear my story. Its based on your beliefs as mine, no monetary value to you or myself. Agree????
j***@gmail.com
2019-12-28 10:11:26 UTC
910336 3339 nick
a***@gmail.com
2020-01-04 02:15:28 UTC
Post by dcsharon
From Barry's facebook page --
[...]
Another track reveal from Night Songs II.

This album's shaping up to be rather remarkable, IMO. Mr M's going to kill it with his interpretation of these romantic songs.

I suppose it's too much to hope that he'll do a limited tour (as in a NEW ENGLAND venue PLEASE!) to support this album. Either way, very much looking forward to Feb 14th

Best,
Annie
dcsharon
2020-01-23 18:58:18 UTC
People Magazine with a link to My Funny Valentine

https://tinyurl.com/rquvcyf

(DC) Sharon
Carmen
2020-01-26 15:14:16 UTC
My Funny Valentine is now available as a single at both Amazon’s MP3 department (Amazon Prime members can play it for free with Music Unlimited) & iTunes (it’s mysteriously categorized as an album & not just a song though). iTunes also has the whole CD of Night Songs II available for pre-order, if there’s someone here who uses iTunes & doesn’t plan to buy it through Shop Manilow.
2020-01-29 04:36:42 UTC
For those interested, the "official lyric video" of My Funny Valentine is now on YouTube. I don't know what kind of effect they used to make the lyrics wobble the way they do, but I find it rather annoying. Your mileage may vary.

dcsharon
2020-01-29 16:47:35 UTC
Post by D
For those interested, the "official lyric video" of My Funny Valentine is now on YouTube. I don't know what kind of effect they used to make the lyrics wobble the way they do, but I find it rather annoying. Your mileage may vary.
http://youtu.be/oCKOe3OhCt4
I didn't notice the wobbly text when I play the video on my smart phone, but it was very noticeable when I played it on my laptop. Must be the larger resolution (or something like that).

Odd.

(DC) Sharon
2020-01-31 01:25:35 UTC
Post by dcsharon
Post by D
For those interested, the "official lyric video" of My Funny Valentine is now on YouTube. I don't know what kind of effect they used to make the lyrics wobble the way they do, but I find it rather annoying. Your mileage may vary.
http://youtu.be/oCKOe3OhCt4
I didn't notice the wobbly text when I play the video on my smart phone, but it was very noticeable when I played it on my laptop. Must be the larger resolution (or something like that).
Odd.
(DC) Sharon
If you REALLY want to see the annoying wobble, try watching it on an HDTV. :-)
(I can stream YouTube videos thru my TV)