OT - Debbie Harry memoir (related)
Scooter
2019-09-30 16:44:44 UTC
Debbie Harry has written a memoir, and the NYT had a great
story about it. The opening paragraphs talk about the art
fans have sent her over the years, and how much she cares
about them. Made me wonder about all the art fans have sent
Barry over the years.

https://nyti.ms/2mZpZ0f

New York Times
September 28, 2019

For decades, Debbie Harry has been saving her fan art,
hundreds of versions of that familiar siren face, rendered by
admirers of all talents. There are children’s drawings in
markers and crayons (“Happy Birthday Debbie Love Miyuki”) and
ink portraits by skilled illustrators. There are dolls and
T-shirts, works on canvas, wood and in mosaic.

Ms. Harry keeps these images of herself not to prop up her
ego, she said, but to honor the makers, and the effort and
spirit of their gifts. She had been storing them haphazardly
in drawers and boxes until she began rounding them up for her
memoir, “Face It,” (yes, there’s a bit of a pileup of female
rockers getting reflective this season) out Oct. 1.

“I couldn’t just abandon them,” she writes in the book,
adding that some of the portraits have traveled around the
world with her, through bad weather and flight delays,
“surviving just like me, a bit frayed at the edges, but still
intact.”

[snip]

Scooter
dcsharon
2019-09-30 20:54:50 UTC
Do you remember Dolores Glass's amazing portraits at the conventions? I know she said that some of the BMIFC staff asked for the portrait of Barry and Grandpa Joe for Barry (which she happily gave them) but she never found out if he got it.

Another did a beautiful cross-stitch that somehow landed on Ebay (the seller found it in an abandoned storage space auction). He had an outrageous price on it, but the person who made the cross-stitch was able to get it back down to a reasonable price so she got it back.

(DC) Sharon
2019-10-01 04:38:09 UTC
Post by dcsharon
Do you remember Dolores Glass's amazing portraits at the conventions? I know she said that some of the BMIFC staff asked for the portrait of Barry and Grandpa Joe for Barry (which she happily gave them) but she never found out if he got it.
Another did a beautiful cross-stitch that somehow landed on Ebay (the seller found it in an abandoned storage space auction). He had an outrageous price on it, but the person who made the cross-stitch was able to get it back down to a reasonable price so she got it back.
(DC) Sharon
Which goes to show you... if I EVER do a Barry-related piece of cross stitch (like maybe the One Voice or Paradise Cafe logos) they'll be for me. :-)