Midnight with Manilow memories (really lengthy....)
Suzan
2016-05-08 14:23:02 UTC
Wow, too much to say, and I've had no sleep yet, so I'll just hit a few highlights and let others tell more. Great, great evening, very emotional. Apologies in advance for anything I'm mixing up or remembering incorrectly, especially the order of events. It was recorded by professional cameras, so hopefully it will be shared on Manilow TV or elsewhere.

The curtain rose to Barry standing right at the edge of the stage. We rose to our feet cheering, and he quickly launched into a gorgeous, full-length version of Who Needs to Dream! It was wonderful, and he already had us emotionally wound up not even 5 minutes into MWM!!! He followed by saying that is THE most requested song, and he rarely does it, so he wanted to share it with us. Sigh.....

He joked that this wasn't a concert, it was a "we don't know what the hell we're doing" and he had a glass of white wine which he sipped from periodically. He clarified it was the end of touring but not performing. He explained the format--that he would take a few questions, sing a few songs, and talk about some of his favorite tours over the years. He said they'd done 27 tours since that first one, and each segment was preceded by him saying 'My third favorite tour was..." or "My fourth favorite tour was..." He had a stack of notes to help him stay on track, which he frequently waved around and referred to often. We were still standing, and Kye told Barry to tell us to sit. He seemed surprised to realize we were standing, then turned and humorously told us all yeah, sit the *&^ down!

He talked about his first tour after getting his record contract, mentioned the Bijou Cafe in PA, Paul's Mall, and other early venues. He brought out Debra Byrd (to the American Idol theme) as his first guest, listing her current credentials. They hugged and shared stories about her first audition with Barry, with Barry complimenting that she could sing high, medium and low, and Debra interjecting that she had to sightread, which he emphasized as important. He told how she was "prim and proper" in her business suit and that he encouraged her to wear lots of eye makeup, lipstick, heels, etc. Barry had a video of him performing (I think) Could It Be Magic on Dick Cavett show and she was wearing tons of glittery eyeshadow. He later joked she was channeling her "inner Ho" and suggested she actually liked all the makeup. He pointed out band members from the original City Rhythm band, including Lee Gurst and the late Steve Donaghey ("God rest his soul.)"

There was another video of a very early TV interview when Barry was just starting out, and the announcers spoke of how he was starting to have an impact and foreshadowed his career would take off. I'd never seen it--this was pre-Mandy, and Barry looked incredibly young. While the video tapes played (Barry asked that the stage lights be turned off while the videos were playing), he sometimes subtly puffed on an electronic cigarette, but usually just watched the video screen, standing in the dark with his back to us.

The second guest was Muffy, representing the Big Fun tour, who was already onstage, but came over to join Debra by the piano, accompanied by music from Ain't Nothing Like The Real Thing". She talked about having worked with many other performers, always in the background, but she'd seen him (live? On tv? I can't recall) with Lady Flash, and thought she'd like to be part of that camaraderie. Two years later she was invited to join. He talked about how different it was for her being up front,and as an example, described the red pop-up capes used in Copacabana around 1978. He said during rehearsals the capes would flip up from the back, then down over their heads, until they learned to control them. He played a video from the HBO TV special of the three girls in the capes during Copa.

He followed Muffy's segment by singing I Was A Fool To Let You Go.

Then, his next favorite tour was Swingstreet. He brought out Dana Robbins, but said Billy Kidd couldn't make it. He told a story about needing a baritone sax player and seeing this beautiful woman in the recording studio. He asked if she played Bari sax and she said "sure" but she actually didn't; she had to rent one for the audition. Barry explained how there are 4 sax types, soprano, alto, tenor and bari, and how it takes more air and is more difficult to play the Bari-sax . He played a video from the Gershwin of Dana, Debra and him performing Some Good Things Never Last.

He sang a very emotional version of Best Seat In The House, purposely looking at individuals in the audience throughout. Some of the audience had planned to serenade Barry with this song at the end of MWM anyway, so some people sang along to this one. This is one of my all time favorites and it really hit me hard emotionally, especially following Who Needs To Dream earlier in the evening!

He interspersed the segments about each tour with a few audience questions. That meant , unfortunately, that some of the spontaneous questions were rather weak. He specified no requests for autographs or hugs, but eventually was pleading, "does anyone have a really GOOD question?" He never used the ones we sent in at all. Instead, there was a convoluted question asking if he'd heard of some Canadian radio station involving an artificial James Taylor/Barry Manilow controversy, and he had no idea what she was talking about. He did say he'd never met James Taylor but loved his work. One person asked him to sing Happy Birthday to her mom Victoria--he did ("key of F!") along with the audience. Another person asked him to sing When October Goes, which he deferred because his voice wasn't able to handle that one just then--it deserved more rehearsal. One man started out great ("We've been friends for 30 years, we just haven't had the opportunity to meet yet") but then proceeded to say Barry had inspired him to learn piano and his dream was to accompany Barry on a song. He blatantly asked to come up and play for him. Barry handled it graciously, saying he had a format to follow and a lot planned, so maybe he could do it later in the evening, or if not, there was a piano in his dressing room and he could do it backstage. I doubt the guy got to do it.

I don't remember how it was phrased, but one lady asked what it was about him that inspired so much love and adoration from us, bringing us back year after year. He thought it was a great question, but said he didn't know. He said he'd thought about it a lot, especially putting this together, but really didn't know how to answer. Later, another woman introduced herself, and said she would be so bold as to answer for him. That sounds like a recipe for disaster, but instead, the lady spoke very eloquently about how he was able to express the feelings that every one of us had, and gave the example of "There's a kid inside" and how each of us could relate to being bullied or feeling inadequate. She talked of how she was widowed at 35, raising 2 children, and how his music helped her cope, and how all our lives are impacted by his music. She did a beautiful job of succinctly conveying what all of us have felt so strongly for so long, but didn't have the words to voice it. During her response, he listened intently and quietly, taking in her words, clearly moved, and I swear it was the key moment of the night for me--probably for all of us. I wish I could fully express the raw emotion in the room. My highest kudos to this lady for intelligently and beautifully expressing our feelings without making fans seem stupid or wacky.

The next guest was Ron Pedley, who remained back with the band, for the Live on Broadway tour. Barry talked of how he was so talented with various synthesizers, and showed a concert videoclip of Ron dressed up in a top hat and huge Elton-John style glasses playing the spacey, eerie intro to the show entirely on synthesizers. I had seen this tour, of course, but completely forgotten about this introduction, so it was a real treat to hear it again.

Kye was up as the next guest, representing the Showstoppers tour and joining the 3 girls seated on stools by the piano. Barry talked about how that tour rearranged Barry's works to sound as if they were created by various composers, and how he hired KEVYN Brackett. Kye said there were already 4 Kevins on the tour (stage manager, lighting director...) and he already spelled it with a Y so he decided to go by KY. Barry said he was a singer, not a lubricant (!), and so they added the E to make Kye. Barry said he never calls him Kevyn--he's always Kye. Later Kye discovered that the name means something like "the mouth of God brings Joy." [I probably just completely mixed that up, but it was a great definition...] Kye referred to himself as the artist previously known as Kevyn.

Kye said Barry saw him dancing to Fascinating Rhythm in rehearsal and how Barry incorporated it into the show. Barry played a video clip of Kye and Barry performing Fascinating Rhythm during a live concert filmed by Marc. I'd been fortunate to see a number of concerts that tour, and Fascinating Rhythm was always one of the highlights. Watching the amazing, multi-talented Kye dance is always a genuine pleasure. As Barry and Kye watched the clip, they bounced up and down as if dancing in place.

Melanie represented the Hilton years. She thanked him publicly for helping her grow to become the person she is, and said "as one only child to another, we have a great family here." She said she's the only one who was a fan before joining. She'd traveled with (I think) a Disney production overseas, and listened to Paradise Cafe every night.

She also told a very funny story about the Hilton days. Barry had a small, private elevator, only about the size of the piano She said one day, only she, Barry and his bodyguard CJ were getting in the elevator (Barry partially explained the bodyguard by quietly saying "There were a lot of people....") At the last second, a strange guy jumped into the elevator with them. Melanie jokingly pantomimed that CJ was reaching for a gun in his breast pocket. The intruder started talking..."I'm so and so and I'm from such and such city" Melanie said Barry replied, "I'm Barry Manilow. What the f*ck are you doing in my elevator?!"

Barry spoke of how much he disliked the travel, and told a joke about an old prostitute saying "it's not the work, it's the stairs!" He re-emphasized that he loved the music, & his band, but the travel had gotten to him. He said the greatest moment would be when he put away his Tumi luggage after 45 years.

There were other audience questions too: a question about a bucket list item he still wanted to do was deflected--he said he just wanted to take a break, and he hadn't thought about it yet. Ironically, someone asked if he and Garry planned to travel the world after he quit touring. He laughed that it was the LAST thing he wanted to do right now!

Toward the end, since he was talking about touring, he took time to call out lots of different people and thank them individually--his "brother" Marc, Sacha, stage manager, Amber (commenting about how her cue book was thicker than War and Peace), internal and external sound guys (Kenny Newman, Will, lighting, and many more. He thanked his husband Garry, the Stiletto team (Vicki, Lynn, Chris, Doug, Ritchie, and "our daughter, Kirsten") who he pointed out had become a lovely young woman of whom he couldn't be prouder. He mentioned his Godson, Adam Kief, who wasn't there tonight because he flew back to LA this morning as he just graduated from college. (Congrats to Adam!!!) Barry realized he'd overlooked the band and thanked them as well.

Of course, he thanked us too for the support. He ended by singing "We'll Meet Again", and most the audience joined in. He joined hands with all the people on stage-- Debra, Muffy, Melanie, Dana, and Kye, for a group bow. Barry went down the line, hugging each one of them, then turned to wave and blow a few kisses our direction before the curtain closed.

Thank you, Barry, for sharing this wonderful evening with us.
Suzan

Postscript: I'm told the lady who spoke so expressively about our fandom was named Jeri Lewis Greenberg.
Brenda M
2016-05-08 14:37:23 UTC
Suzan,

Thank you for the eloquent, very thorough write-up. Sure wish the whole thing were on a DVD...I'd love to see all those ghosts of tours past.

And it sounds like you all had a great time!

He was apparently pretty chatty. A friend of mine texted me during the event and jokingly said, "Wow, he won't shut up!"

So ... thank you again ... and travel home safely. :-)

Bren
i***@aol.com
2016-05-08 19:31:08 UTC
Hi Suzan,
Thank you for writing such a beautiful synopsis of MWM. You couldn't have done a better job. We
we were so lucky to be there. Barry will live on forever in our hearts.
❤️Melissa
IreneH
2016-05-08 15:04:10 UTC
Thank you Suzan for thinking of us before catching up with your sleep! Judging by your wonderful description, a good time was had by all. I loved the 'our daughter' comment.
Sheila
2016-05-08 18:23:43 UTC
Thank you so much for this. It's sounds absolutely amazing, what an experience. Sleep well!

Sheila M
Tina B
2016-05-08 21:59:51 UTC
Thank you for taking the time to write all these wonderful details! I so wanted to go, and could not.

Tina B
Suzan
2016-05-08 23:06:30 UTC
Doh! I knew I'd forget something....Harmony! Unfortunately not much news. He said that the reviews in Atlanta and L.A. were wonderful, and they were still trying to get it to New York. They had two new producers working on it. But he was concerned it might be too "serious" since currently the most successful shows are things like Mama Mia or the rap-inspired Hamilton. It might not be the right time for it. He's still hopeful.
marvin
2016-05-09 00:56:56 UTC
We all hope that Harmony can go to Broadway since it is such a moving story.
Barry I think is only partially right about the story being too dramatic or serious, but I don't think that is the problem to market the musical to be on Broadway for a year or more.
The main problem is that few people in America have ever seen The Comedian Harmonists perform, even heard of them and, more important, few people know of any popular songs that they made back in the day that they are associated with. It also does not help that, with the possible exception of "Every Single Day", that none of Barry's songs from "Harmony" have ever become radio friendly hits.
By contrast, many people prior to seeing "Jersey Boys", "Mamma Mia" or "Beautiful: The Carole King Story" were already enamored with the music of Frankie Valli, Carole King and Abba and that is one very big difference, because most people want to see the shows for the songs they love before they even know of the story.
I don't think it matters whether the stories were happy or not, but that the music was so well-known prior to the "jukebox" musicals starting their runs.
"Harmony" has worked and will work on a limited three week run in regional theaters and off-Broadway, but to make profit on Broadway, "Harmony" has to run for a year or more and I just can't see that happening, unfortunately. Marvin
Suzan
2016-05-09 03:07:09 UTC
More stuff I forgot to mention:

* He played the Can't Smile Montage video. Many of us had seen it before, but it's still just as funny as ever.

* Also, (I CANNOT believe I didn't remember to mention this), he sang part of the Lady Flash song, Street Singing! It was after Debra had joined Barry onstage, in response to a question that I didn't fully hear. When Barry heard the song title, he immediately started snapping his fingers and singing it acapella, trying to get Debra to join in. He got partway through it, but unfortunately she didn't appear to remember all the words, and so he had to stop. It sounded great while it lasted!

* While not against it, he didn't have plans for a residency anywhere. In fact, he said that he and Garry hadn't really discussed future plans yet. He joked that he just wanted to be able to not shave for awhile!

Suzan
h***@gmail.com
Suzan, thank you for sharing your story, this means alot to me to be able to go back and read about the wonderful night we shared with an Incredible Man. Barry is a man of grace, elegants, humor and the love he shows his fans !!! Barry is truly an amazing person. Thank you once again, many hugs !!!!
HallieR
Had a great time, aside from the one or two questions you mentioned it was a great crowd. So nice to see Barry relaxed and just talking, and glad so many old faces could show up. I'm not sure how I didn't know Kye had been with Barry for so long.
w***@rogers.com
Thank you so much for sharing your experience ay MWM....for those of us who have been on this journey since the early 70's and fully "get it" with the woman's expression of what Barry has meant to us over the years........looking forward to what the future holds for Barry and His Friends!
marvin
2016-05-09 12:00:18 UTC
Dear Suzan,
Thank you so much for the post that you worked so hard on to capture every moment of Midnight With Manilow and appreciate all the many details that only fans of Barry can greatly appreciate.
I have to admit the experience you described was a very personal journey for Barry to go down memory lane with Dana, Debra, Kye, Muffy among others and share the experience with the fans.
Given that for many years, Barry had a reputation for not being as open or fan friendly as other performers (notably Dave Koz, who always meets with his fans before or after shows), this was a very special treat.
We all know that Barry normally does not like to share much about his private life with us, so for him to share so much about the touring life and making the effort to bring to us performers who have been part of his professional and private life says a lot about his willingness and appreciation to his fans for sharing more about Barry Manilow as well as BARRY MANILOW the performer.
It was such a giant step for Barry to say "I thank my husband" and other things we knew about his private life but he never acknowledged publicly. Even as recent as a year or two ago, would you have ever thought that Barry would ever talk about having a husband in public?
I have such respect and admiration for Barry to open more about his life to his fans and hopefully he can follow up with this by writing another autobiography and/or giving his consent to creative people that would love to do a jukebox musical on the story of Barry's life.
Thanks again Suzan for sharing so much with us about Midnight With Manilow. Regards, Marvin
Maria M
2016-05-09 17:33:26 UTC
The weekend was a blast.

Can't add anything more to Suzan's great accounting of the evening, but I can chime in and say it felt great to hear Barry FINALLY say the words.... Garry is his husband. I was waiting for that at Barclay's but perhaps it was too soon for him and the audience not right.

Knowing how private he is I feel honored that he did this during that special evening.

It certainly means a lot.

Maria
IreneH
2016-05-11 19:30:10 UTC
I read there were about 200 there. I thought there would be a lot more. Any idea how many invitations were sent out?
Suzan
2016-05-11 19:34:57 UTC
There were way more than 200. I'm guessing about 1000. But still intimate; the theater holds ~5000.
IreneH
2016-05-11 19:56:32 UTC
I thought 200 sounded wrong. I mean if you were invited you would move heaven and earth to go. At least I would!
Scooter
2016-05-11 21:11:06 UTC
Post by IreneH
I thought 200 sounded wrong. I mean if you were invited you would
move heaven and earth to go. At least I would!
I got an invitation, and I haven't been a member of the BMIFC or gone to a
show since around 2008. So maybe they sent them out to lots of people who
might have chosen not to go if they've moved on in their fandom after
several years. It would be interesting to know how many they did send out.

Scooter [who didn't care to go]
Brenda M
2016-05-12 08:56:50 UTC
According to Dana Robbins' FB page, they brought 4,000 back into the theater.

Bren
s***@gmail.com
Thank you Suzan for the great recap! It's a night I'll never forget. I hope after a well-deserved rest, Barry will begin a residency somewhere. I need to see him again (and again)! It was nice to hear him refer to "his husband" as that was the first time I've ever heard him acknowledge Garry in that regard. I know Barry is very private about his life, but maybe now that he's done touring, he was ready to be more open to his fans. He is the ultimate performer.
Suzan
2016-05-11 22:36:29 UTC
You know, it was the first time we've heard him refer to Garry as his husband, but in a way, it shouldn't be a big deal. Garry's been his family for a long time--he doesn't need to announce it. Actually I was more touched by the loving, fatherly acknowledgment of Kirsten, as we so rarely get to see him in that role. I felt sort of privileged that he was willing to open up and share that side of himself with us.
marvin
2016-05-11 23:14:38 UTC
Hi Suzan,
Barry is definitely coming to grips to talk more expressively of who his family is and who he is in a positive, truthful manner. I think this is a big change for Barry and for us as well. Although Barry did not use these words, he is basically saying that he loves that his fans can accept him for being gay.
I truly believe that Barry is finally free of having to conceal his life from us for the sake of his career and most of his fans (can't say all his fans, although I would say almost all his fans) respect and love him as he is. Regards, Marvin
Maria M
2016-05-12 01:35:21 UTC
I agree Suzan, but I think it was a very big deal for Barry to call Garry his husband. Considering how private he is, I consider it a huge thing for him to say that... to us. And the "our daughter"... that was VERY touching. Those whole final few
moments made me teary. It was a "moment"
for sure.

Knowing he is happy and finally able to share that part of his life with us was such a great feeling.

Maria
HallieR
2016-05-12 05:41:56 UTC
I agree, I thought it was a bit of a milestone/step for Barry to use the word 'husband.' Couldn't be happier for him.

So is Kristen Garry's daughter? And I know Adam is Barry's godson, but who else is he related to?

Hallie
marvin
2016-05-12 11:50:06 UTC
Dear Hallie,
Barry has two cousins from his Aunt Rose, the sister of his mother Edna with one of them being Dennis, whom Barry was supposed to sing happy birthday to in the record your voice booth with his grandfather and the other Olivia. Aside from the children (and perhaps now grandchildren) from his cousins who would be related to Barry, there would be no other biological relatives still alive from Barry's maternal side. As you may know, Barry is an only child and has no siblings.
From Barry's late father Harold, knowing his relatives is more complicated, because Barry never wrote about that side of his family in "Sweet Life", given the mostly estranged relationship Barry had with his father. In the Patricia Butler book on Barry, she goes into detail about Barry's relatives from his father's side of the family.
Barry may also have relatives from his stepfather Willie, but they would not be his biological relatives.
Kristen is Garry's biological daughter. but I don't know anything about Adam. Regards, Marvin
IreneH
2016-05-12 12:30:57 UTC
Isn't Adam Garry's nephew?
marvin
2016-05-12 12:40:00 UTC
Garry has a brother Rob, so perhaps Adam is Rob's son. Marvin
Suzan
2016-05-12 13:26:15 UTC
Post by marvin
Garry has a brother Rob, so perhaps Adam is Rob's son. Marvin
Yes, Rob has two sons, Adam and Chris. They used to be at many of the early Manilow conventions when they were still little kids. I remember helping "Kate" (the name we always called their grandma) watch them for awhile in Atlanta while she was helping set up the merchandise table. They're all grown up now, of course.

Rob and Dennis were both in Denver.
HallieR
2016-05-12 16:49:53 UTC
Thanks everyone, appreciate the info, just curious.
a***@gmail.com
2016-05-17 23:45:58 UTC
Post by marvin
Garry has a brother Rob, so perhaps Adam is Rob's son. Marvin
Mr Kief has a brother....I did not know that.

So, I guess the answer to: "Are there any more like you at home?" would be yes....yes, there are.....

Annie
g***@gmail.com
2016-05-11 20:25:40 UTC
I'm Jeri Lewis Greenberg, the lady who answered for Barry! I'm so thankful for your lovely synopsis of the midnight with Manilow event. It was a memory for me that will never fade 😍 I tried to be as humble as possible while still using examples of some of his songs that helped me like "You Begin Again " and "the kid inside " because I felt he would like to know that we actually do HEAR and not merely listen to his messages. I told him that I BEGAN again when I could have easily lost hope! Everything about that evening was epic for me and I am so grateful for the opportunity to speak for all of us😍
Suzan
2016-05-11 22:22:09 UTC
Post by g***@gmail.com
I'm Jeri Lewis Greenberg, the lady who answered for Barry! I'm so thankful for your lovely synopsis of the midnight with Manilow event. It was a memory for me that will never fade 😍 I tried to be as humble as possible while still using examples of some of his songs that helped me like "You Begin Again " and "the kid inside " because I felt he would like to know that we actually do HEAR and not merely listen to his messages. I told him that I BEGAN again when I could have easily lost hope! Everything about that evening was epic for me and I am so grateful for the opportunity to speak for all of us😍
Hi Jeri,
I didn't get to meet you in person, and thank you for your moment. [I hope you weren't hurt by my initial concerns when you said you were going to answer the question for him!] You did a wonderful job of expressing that his music of hope and redemption has changed our lives. Thank you.

Interestingly, I took a few photos during that moment. I don't have an auto-shoot function on my camera; I took a few separate pictures, all individually, close and distant, vertical and horizontal, yet his expression never changed! He was frozen, listening intently to your words. I hope he was able to really hear the message in your words as intensely as we hear it in his.
Mary H.
2016-05-17 22:57:07 UTC
Really enjoyed your detailed review of the event, Suzan. Thanks so much! I just got back from vacation yesterday, and it was great to read what a special time was had by all in Denver.
g***@gmail.com
2020-03-27 22:49:21 UTC
SUZAN... believe it or not, I’ve never SEEN this until just now( almost4 yrs later)!! I just want to thank you for your kind words! My heart simply overflowed that fateful night..& I simply HAD to let BARRY know!! A beautiful memory that I’ll never forget was etched into my soul that evening!
marvin
2020-04-08 16:11:13 UTC
Post by g***@gmail.com
SUZAN... believe it or not, I’ve never SEEN this until just now( almost4 yrs later)!! I just want to thank you for your kind words! My heart simply overflowed that fateful night..& I simply HAD to let BARRY know!! A beautiful memory that I’ll never forget was etched into my soul that evening!
Hi Jeri,
Manilow TV had a free playback of the Midnight with Manilow event that I received on my email and you were so eloquent and expressed your feelings about Barry's music that maybe he was not able to do that night. Thanks not only for sharing those feelings for Barry's music that he could not express, but for many of us that also have difficulty expressing how much the Manilow music has moved us in our lives. Regards, Marvin