Shop Manilow - PLR Trio Broadway Cafe
dcsharon
2020-11-13 05:08:02 UTC
New item on ShopManilow - a CD of Manilow tunes performed by band members, Ron Pedley, Mike Lent and David Rozenblatt (hence, the name PLR Trio).

https://shopmanilow.com/products/plr-trio-brooklyn-cafe?fbclid=IwAR1w2MR9aliTb8N5DMLXna5s2zfdIy5vjyQKaecpNgkk_E1DvLokUbuZIro

Brooklyn Cafe is a brand new release by the PLR Trio, an instrumental jazz organ trio made up of long-time members of Barry Manilow’s band, Ron Pedley, Michael Lent and David Rozenblatt. This album, the debut for this group, showcases five of Barry’s songs. For decades, Manilow’s music has proven to withstand the test of time and his beautifully crafted melodies hold up in any genre.

Sweet Life opens the CD.This is great driving music which takes some twists and turns along the way. Lent’s beautiful guitar solo as the song fades is evidence that it will indeed be a sweet life.

Brooklyn Cafe, the title track, is a medley of Brooklyn Blues and Paradise Cafe. The smooth intro of Brooklyn Blues starts this inspired mash-up which later morphs into a swingin’ version of Paradise Cafe. Lent’s tasty guitar solo into Rozenblatt’s beautiful brush work is not to be missed! The medley ends with Pedley and Lent trading solos and then the Brooklyn Blues ending, creating a delightful bookend.

Next up is Border Train. PLR’s lush version of this rarely performed gem with its distinctive, haunting melody is reminiscent of Joe Zawinul’s Weather Report.

Manilow’s legendary Copacabana is undoubtedly PLR’s tour de force, presenting the listener with an array of Jazz, Cuban and Latin American rhythms guaranteed to knock your ruffles off.

Ending the CD is Manilow’s timeless I Am Your Child. This early classic was arranged to showcase its poignant melody. The music brought forth by Lent’s heartwarming guitar solo, Pedley’s hypnotic organ playing and Rozenblatt’s colorful cymbal work is as gorgeous as it gets.

Enjoy!

NOTE! With this product being in high demand, a delay of 1 week to restock is in process. Thank you.

(DC) Sharon
Carmen
2020-11-14 16:21:42 UTC
If you’re on the fence about buying this & you have an Amazon Prime membership, you can listen to the entire CD (it’s only 5 songs) for free through their Music Unlimited streaming thing. You might have to download the app (the 1 with the Amazon “Smile” graphic & the word Unlimited over it, I think) though.

I bought the CD already, through Shop Manilow, but am previewing it through my Amazon Prime membership, as I stated was possible above if you have an Amazon Prime membership. The music reminds me of the music by Uncle Festive & Kombo, the previous side bands formed by Ron Pedley & other, now former, members of Barry’s band through the years. So if you’re familiar with any of that, & liked it, you hopefully should like this too. It’s not strictly played on organ, as it sort of sounds. Mike Lent plays guitar & David Rozenblatt plays percussion, just like in Barry’s shows.

I think it’s interesting hearing alternate interpretations of Barry’s music by his band members, instead of always hearing it played like in the shows—not that there’s anything wrong with the original versions. It just gives you a new look at the songs.
(DC) Sharon
t***@bellsouth.net