OT: No longer a fan
a***@gmail.com
2020-06-21 02:07:18 UTC
so the Rolling Stones allowed trump to use their song, "You Can't Always Get What You Want" at his rally tonight. Seriously rethinking my fandom.

Also playing Elton John's "Tiny Dancer".

What the hell?!!

What would it take for me to walk away from Mr Barry Manilow? If you've read this far, I think you know.

Fuck you, Mick Jagger. SHAME ON YOU, Elton John.

Dismayed,
Annie
a***@gmail.com
2020-06-21 02:59:35 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
so the Rolling Stones allowed trump to use their song, "You Can't Always Get What You Want" at his rally tonight. Seriously rethinking my fandom.
Also playing Elton John's "Tiny Dancer".
What the hell?!!
What would it take for me to walk away from Mr Barry Manilow? If you've read this far, I think you know.
Fuck you, Mick Jagger. SHAME ON YOU, Elton John.
Dismayed,
Annie
Evidently the Covidiot Tour 2020 used a Tom Petty song tonight as well. Mr Petty's daughter just posted on Instagram making it clear that none of the Petty family supported the use of this song, and that the late Mr Petty would be appalled, and that the Petty estate has issued a Cease and Desist order against the Trump campaign.

I'm guessing the Rolling Stones and Mr Elton John will be issuing similar orders because I cannot believe any respectable artist would lend their work to this shitshow.

Annie

Annie
dcsharon
2020-06-21 02:59:39 UTC
I don't think they have given permission, but requests NOT to play specific songs have been ignored. Maybe the Stones / Elton don't want to deal with the legal hassles that suing the current occpant of 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue would bring.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/prince-estate-calls-out-trump-for-playing-his-music-rihanna-the-rolling-stones-and-many-more-have-done-the-same-010505898.html

(DC) Sharon
2020-06-21 03:03:41 UTC
Post by dcsharon
I don't think they have given permission, but requests NOT to play specific songs have been ignored. Maybe the Stones / Elton don't want to deal with the legal hassles that suing the current occpant of 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue would bring.
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/prince-estate-calls-out-trump-for-playing-his-music-rihanna-the-rolling-stones-and-many-more-have-done-the-same-010505898.html
(DC) Sharon
I'm with Sharon on this one.
I'll refrain from further comment for the sake of keeping my blood pressure in check.
a***@gmail.com
2020-06-21 03:05:01 UTC
Post by dcsharon
I don't think they have given permission, but requests NOT to play specific songs have been ignored. Maybe the Stones / Elton don't want to deal with the legal hassles that suing the current occpant of 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue would bring.
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/prince-estate-calls-out-trump-for-playing-his-music-rihanna-the-rolling-stones-and-many-more-have-done-the-same-010505898.html
(DC) Sharon
I can't say I am surprised to learn Trump is using others' work without permission.

On further reflection, I think Mr M's song "Trainwreck" would be appropriate for use at the Trump Covidiot Tour.

Hastings Clayton & Tucker would probs be cool with that.....

Annie
a***@gmail.com
2020-06-22 23:29:47 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
so the Rolling Stones allowed trump to use their song, "You Can't Always Get What You Want" at his rally tonight. Seriously rethinking my fandom.
Also playing Elton John's "Tiny Dancer".
What the hell?!!
What would it take for me to walk away from Mr Barry Manilow? If you've read this far, I think you know.
Fuck you, Mick Jagger. SHAME ON YOU, Elton John.
Dismayed,
Annie
So Mick Jagger addressed this on twitter:

https://mobile.twitter.com/RollingStones/status/786267908343083012\

Evidently it is legal to use basically any song at public gatherings. That said, many artists have asked the Trump machine to cease and desist using their music, but Trump pretty much does what he wants, without regard for the artist's wishes.

From what I read, the list of artists who do not support Trump or his use of their music include Aerosmith, Rolling Stones, Michael Stipe (REM), ABBA, Tom Petty (estate); Adele; Pharrell Williams; Neil Young; Barbra Streisand.

my source material:
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/oct/30/pharrell-trump-music-politicians-bands-cease-desist

Knowing this, hearing a Manilow song during The Covidiot Tour 2020 will not send me into fits of rage and despair. I'll be a fan of our guy til the day I die.

Also, my apologies to Mick Jagger and Sir Elton John.

Annie
a***@gmail.com
2020-06-29 00:34:10 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
so the Rolling Stones allowed trump to use their song, "You Can't Always Get What You Want" at his rally tonight. Seriously rethinking my fandom.
Also playing Elton John's "Tiny Dancer".
What the hell?!!
What would it take for me to walk away from Mr Barry Manilow? If you've read this far, I think you know.
Fuck you, Mick Jagger. SHAME ON YOU, Elton John.
Dismayed,
Annie
So this is happening. Shit's about to get real. I knew Mick wouldn't let us down!

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/28/politics/rolling-stones-trump-music-rally-trnd/index.html

Annie
2020-06-29 01:11:49 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
Post by a***@gmail.com
so the Rolling Stones allowed trump to use their song, "You Can't Always Get What You Want" at his rally tonight. Seriously rethinking my fandom.
Also playing Elton John's "Tiny Dancer".
What the hell?!!
What would it take for me to walk away from Mr Barry Manilow? If you've read this far, I think you know.
Fuck you, Mick Jagger. SHAME ON YOU, Elton John.
Dismayed,
Annie
So this is happening. Shit's about to get real. I knew Mick wouldn't let us down!
https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/28/politics/rolling-stones-trump-music-rally-trnd/index.html
Annie
Hate to say it, Annie... but do you REALLY think some pesky little lawsuit by a group that "aren't even American" (you KNOW he'll go there) is gong to stop this idjit? Next up... Mick Jagger? Never heard of him. I only worked with him for a short time... he used to go get coffee. Or covefefe.