OT: Mr M needs to cover this!
a***@gmail.com
2018-05-30 14:01:33 UTC
So Weezer just released a cover of Toto's 'Africa'.

Have a listen to one of the greatest songs ever. And Weezer nails it.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news/weezer-releases-cover-of-totos-africa-following-social-media-campaign-listen/ar-AAxZ4Qn?ocid=spartandhp

Annie
Brenda M
2018-05-30 16:26:52 UTC
Mr. M needs to cover NOTHING.

Only old, washed up performers need to cover other artists.

Barry has his own very impressive library and can, I’m certain, still create good original music.

Brenda
Kristen Cladek
To Annie's credit, Mr. M has been doing an awful lot of cover songs....
b***@comcast.net
2018-05-31 03:49:34 UTC
Post by Brenda M
Mr. M needs to cover NOTHING.
Only old, washed up performers need to cover other artists.
Barry has his own very impressive library and can, I’m certain, still create good original music.
Brenda
Jeez, Brenda... did you forget the God-awful decades albums (and a couple of related covers albums) already? Or were you just being sarcastic, and I missed it?

Dave
a***@gmail.com
2018-05-31 05:08:38 UTC
Post by b***@comcast.net
Post by Brenda M
Mr. M needs to cover NOTHING.
Only old, washed up performers need to cover other artists.
Barry has his own very impressive library and can, I’m certain, still create good original music.
Brenda
Jeez, Brenda... did you forget the God-awful decades albums (and a couple of related covers albums) already? Or were you just being sarcastic, and I missed it?
Dave
I love the decades albums. "Careless Whisper" especially is one of my favorite songs, as performed by Mr M.

"Only old, washed up performers need to cover other artists" is Brenda's opinion and certainly she's entitled to it, but it's far from a definitive pronouncement. IMO.

Annie
a***@gmail.com
2018-05-31 05:32:08 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
Post by b***@comcast.net
Post by Brenda M
Mr. M needs to cover NOTHING.
Only old, washed up performers need to cover other artists.
Barry has his own very impressive library and can, I’m certain, still create good original music.
Brenda
Jeez, Brenda... did you forget the God-awful decades albums (and a couple of related covers albums) already? Or were you just being sarcastic, and I missed it?
Dave
I love the decades albums. "Careless Whisper" especially is one of my favorite songs, as performed by Mr M.
"Only old, washed up performers need to cover other artists" is Brenda's >opinion and certainly she's entitled to it, but it's far from a definitive >pronouncement. IMO.
Annie
Exhibit A: The magnificent Diana Krall singing Joni Mitchell's 'A Case of You'.

I DARE anyone to call Ms Krall "washed up". Seriously, just try, because I'll cut a bitch LOLOL!

And if Mr M covers this song I'm pretty sure I'd melt as much as I do when hearing Ms Krall's interpretation. A great song is a great song. An artist's interpretation is everything. Cover songs for the win!

Annie
s***@gmail.com
2018-05-31 05:33:25 UTC
If I'm not mistaken, the group Take That did a cover of Could It Be Magic. Were they old and washed up?
a***@gmail.com
2018-05-31 05:51:33 UTC
Post by s***@gmail.com
If I'm not mistaken, the group Take That did a cover of Could It Be Magic. Were they old and washed up?
And then there's Billy Joel:

https://secondhandsongs.com/artist/5091/covers

Annie
Blintzy
2018-05-31 10:57:03 UTC
Post by s***@gmail.com
If I'm not mistaken, the group Take That did a cover of Could It Be Magic. Were they old and washed up?
You are not mistaken. So did Donna Summer.

Take That's uptempo version of CIBM was awful.
h***@aol.com
2018-05-31 12:49:14 UTC
"Take That's uptempo version of CIBM was awful." Although it DID spawn a really fun Manilow version!
Blintzy
2018-05-31 17:55:00 UTC
Barry's live uptempo version of CIBM certainly went down well, and still does. His recorded uptempo version was nowhere near as good.
b***@comcast.net
2018-06-01 00:06:23 UTC
I agree... I like the live version better. Back in the days of the VCR, I managed to snag the audio of the live version off the "Live on Broadway" video and transfer it to CD. :-)
h***@aol.com
2018-05-31 13:01:17 UTC
"Take That's uptempo version of CIBM was awful." Although...it DID spawn a GREAT Manilow version!
b***@comcast.net
2018-06-01 00:02:46 UTC
There have been countless cover versions of CIBM over the years, Take That and Donna Summer being among the best known. A British artist named Abigail also did a version which might be mistaken for Donna Summer if you're not paying attention... and it went to #1 in the UK.
b***@comcast.net
2018-05-31 05:49:44 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
Post by b***@comcast.net
Post by Brenda M
Mr. M needs to cover NOTHING.
Only old, washed up performers need to cover other artists.
Barry has his own very impressive library and can, I’m certain, still create good original music.
Brenda
Jeez, Brenda... did you forget the God-awful decades albums (and a couple of related covers albums) already? Or were you just being sarcastic, and I missed it?
Dave
I love the decades albums. "Careless Whisper" especially is one of my favorite songs, as performed by Mr M.
"Only old, washed up performers need to cover other artists" is Brenda's opinion and certainly she's entitled to it, but it's far from a definitive pronouncement. IMO.
Annie
Back when I was going through my CD collection, I decided to see which of Barry's albums were my favorite. I used an objective criteria: how many songs are on the album, and how many of those songs did I like? Then I ranked the percentages.

Big Bands came out the highest of the covers albums. I like 11 songs out of the 16, giving it a 68.75% rating. Of the decades albums, GS-60's came out the highest, 46.15%. Then came GS-70's at 44.44%, Greatest Love Songs at 42.86, SO78 at 33.33, GS-50's at 23.08, and GS-80's at 14.29. The only one lower was the Nightmare Singalong with a score of absolute zero.

For the curious, my favorites in order turned out to be:
1) Paradise Cafe
2) This Is My Town (QVC edition)
3) This One's for You

But hey... great thing about this group, we can all like/dislike different parts of the "Barry-ography" :-)
a***@gmail.com
2018-05-31 05:54:31 UTC
Post by b***@comcast.net
Post by a***@gmail.com
Post by b***@comcast.net
Post by Brenda M
[...]
Hi Dave,

great post, although it did give me flashbacks to statistics courses in college....

can I see the standard deviation and analysis of variance for these albums?

: )

Annie
b***@comcast.net
2018-05-31 05:59:18 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
Post by b***@comcast.net
Post by a***@gmail.com
Post by b***@comcast.net
Post by Brenda M
[...]
I think y'all already know that I'm a pretty non-standard deviant... and can vary widely depending on the topic :-)
But if you REALLY want, I can just send you the Excel file and let you figure it out for yourself...
a***@gmail.com
2018-05-31 06:00:40 UTC
Post by b***@comcast.net
Post by a***@gmail.com