Mayflower
judyg26
2019-12-29 15:08:05 UTC
I was pleasantly surprised on Christmas Eve by a cousin of mine. Don't know how the conversation turned to Barry - but out of the blue she said she loved the Mayflower album. Didn't even know she had THAT one. Oh yeah - just remembered, I think we were discussing Broadway shows with her niece, a NYC resident and aspiring actress, singer, comedian. Any way Sue said she loved that album and said she would love to see it as a Broadway show! From a non-hard core Manilow fan. I refuse to use the word "F....low". It struck me odd as I know years ago the discussion was out there among us about Mayflower becoming a show. I could see the background set - screening with the building with displayed on the at least 3 layers of floors (otherwise wouldn't need an elevator). Inside shot of the lobby with the elevator doors opening and closing). Side sets moved in with the 'office', the 'mechanic's shop', the 'bar' by the harbor, the back 'alley' for Tito, the dance club, etc. Only problem I had - with was who would sing the songs - the 'narrator'? Or just the 'overall chorus" with each one taking on the acting parts of the characters? It definitely would not be a 'star' inclusive show. Anyone else have any ideas? Maybe we all should come up with the 'book' for Barry. Or am I just on a high from the shock of someone mentioning Mayflower?
Brenda M
2020-01-03 07:43:29 UTC
Judy,

I’ve been saying for years (as well as many other fans) that Mayflower could be adapted into a really entertaining Broadway musical (and, dare I say it, probably more inviting to today’s theater crowds than Harmony).

But Barry has repeatedly shot down the idea. I guess, for him, Broadway is a one-trick pony ... go Harmony or go home?

Bren