What happened to Roberta Kent?
mamahep
2005-02-02 01:24:40 UTC
I've read "Sweet Life" and I remember reading the part where Linda was in
his life, they were in Palm Springs...and then he just skips to the part
where he meets Roberta and didn't explain what happened to Linda...does
anyone know???

And back to my main question, What happened to Roberta after their many
years together? And where is she now? It seemed that Barry held her in
such high regard because she helped him so much with "how much the fans
love you and how you should appreciate them too" attitude about things...

Has this "downhill spiral" (ie: appreciating his fans, being rude, etc)
start after she was out of the picture? Did G.K. have something to do
with it?

If anyone knows, please fill me in?

thanks
paula
W***@AOL.com
2005-02-02 01:50:16 UTC
Has this "downhill spiral" (ie: appreciating his fans, being� rude,
etc)
start after she was out of the picture? Did G.K. have somet�hing to do

with it?
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hi Paula - I don't know what happened to Roberta although I think she
still does stand-up. Supposedly it was Garry who introduced Barry to
Roberta.

Susan
crystaline
2005-02-02 02:17:59 UTC
Hi Paula - I don't know what happened to Roberta although I think she
still does stand-up. Supposedly it was Garry who introduced Barry to
Roberta.
Actually it was Barry's second PA Paul Brownstein who introduced them at a
Christmas party Barry was hosting. Paul Brownstein quit I've heard to
devote more time to his wife and kids although I'm not sure how accurate
that is.

Crystal
m***@hotmail.com
2005-02-02 15:11:17 UTC
Hi Crystal,Paula,others,
I met Roberta Kent and spoke with her following a performance at a
local comedy club here in Ft. Lauderdale back in 1989 or 1990. Her
humour onstage had nothing to do with Barry even though Sweet Life was
already written at that point. I found her hilarious and most of her
humour was like Joan Rivers or Rodney Dangerfeld; poking fun at herself
for being a chain smoker and being overweight.
I talked with her about her life and about Barry. She said at the
time that they were continually in touch and that what Barry wrote in
Sweet Life was absolultely true about him being reclusive and her
introducing Barry to some of his fans.
Someone on the BarryNet wrote a while back that Roberta may have
passed away. Obviously, I hope the poster is wrong. If Roberta is
indeed performing, I am surprised that her name has not come up on the
internet performing anywhere.
About Paul Brownstein- unless this is a different Paul Brownstein
(it could be. There were two people named Ray Charles in show
business)- Brownstein produces a lot of Tv shows and has distributed
many of the old Ed Sullivan variety shows on DVD and PBS. Marvin
Beyond just being funny, Roberta had this ability to make you feel that
you knew her for years even though we spent only 30 minutes or so
together. I do hope she is well and if so, that she can help Barry get
to know his fans again. Marvin
Scooter ²
2005-02-02 15:18:42 UTC
Post by m***@hotmail.com
About Paul Brownstein- unless this is a different Paul Brownstein
(it could be. There were two people named Ray Charles in show
business)- Brownstein produces a lot of Tv shows and has distributed
many of the old Ed Sullivan variety shows on DVD and PBS.
I think it's the same guy. He was also selling some Manilow memorabilia a
few years ago, and I purchased a few things from him. I think I bought a
couple of One Voice backstage passes, and a 1978 tourbook from the UK. If I
remember, the tourbook was slightly larger in deminsions than the US version.
--
Scooter²

Retrospectively Appreciative Manilow Fan
Scooter ²
2005-02-02 15:21:03 UTC
Post by Scooter ²
Post by m***@hotmail.com
About Paul Brownstein- unless this is a different Paul Brownstein
(it could be. There were two people named Ray Charles in show
business)- Brownstein produces a lot of Tv shows and has distributed
many of the old Ed Sullivan variety shows on DVD and PBS.
I think it's the same guy. He was also selling some Manilow memorabilia
a few years ago, and I purchased a few things from him. I think I
bought a couple of One Voice backstage passes, and a 1978 tourbook from
the UK. If I remember, the tourbook was slightly larger in deminsions
than the US version.
Here's the link to what he's selling:

http://www.tvclassics.com/barry2.htm

I don't know if this has been kept up to date, or if this is old info
because my purchase from him had to be back in about 1999 or so.

KB
2005-02-02 23:49:00 UTC
Post by m***@hotmail.com
Someone on the BarryNet wrote a while back that Roberta may have
passed away. Obviously, I hope the poster is wrong. If Roberta is
indeed performing, I am surprised that her name has not come up on the
internet performing anywhere.
If I remember correctly, I saw her on a talk show a few years ago, talking
about having had gastric bypass surgery.

Kelly
"Let Freedom Ring" - including freedom of speech!
Scooter ²
2005-02-02 15:29:24 UTC
m***@hotmail.com
2005-02-02 18:33:39 UTC
Hi Scooter,
Thank you for sending us this info on Roberta Kent and am
personally happy that she is alive and performing. Too bad since
Roberta performed with Ellen that Ellen did not use this opportunity of
featuring Roberta with Barry on her show.
It would have been refreshing to hear Roberta and Barry
talked on mutual things like Barry and Bette did on Today. Marvin
W***@AOL.com
2005-02-02 19:07:18 UTC
Too bad s�ince
Roberta performed with Ellen that Ellen did not use this opp�ortunity
of
featuring Roberta with Barry on her show.
It would have been refreshing to hear Roberta and Barry
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Maybe they're (Roberta and Barry) are not speaking to each other. I
haven't heard her name mentioned in years by him or anyone close to
him.

Susan
laniemra
2005-02-02 20:37:09 UTC
Too bad s=ADince
Roberta performed with Ellen that Ellen did not use this opp=ADortunity
of
featuring Roberta with Barry on her show.
It would have been refreshing to hear Roberta and Barry
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Maybe they're (Roberta and Barry) are not speaking to each other. I
haven't heard her name mentioned in years by him or anyone close to
him.

Susan

I hope he still speaks to such a good friend. Must be difficult to
reconcile Barry I and Barry II...the musician and The Superstar.

Cate
Catt
2005-02-06 19:18:09 UTC
Hi I ask the BNET people,
a lady on there said she has a friend that knows RO and that she is alive
and well.
Cat